In this assignment you will audio record an interview with an individual who speaks English as a second language (total 10 minutes), and analyse linguistic features
I) The Interview (about 8 min)
• Select an individual who has a noticeably different accent.
Avoid someone who speaks English as a second language but speaks English fluently, and does not have a
noticeably different accent.
If you speak English as a second language, you should interview someone who speaks English as the first
language or who speaks English in an accent very different from yours.
• You will audiotape this interview
(If you do not have an audio recording device, you may be able to borrow one from the AV division, Library)
• Complete the Consent form (use the template posted on course site) and email it to the interviewee prior to the
• Keep track of when you had to ask the participant to repeat what he/she had just said.
As well, when the participant asked you to repeat what you had just said
II) Reading a Media Clip (About 2 min )
• Before the interview, send a simple and interesting clip from a newspaper or a magazine (about 100-150 words).
Make sure that this clip does not contain technical jargons.
• During the last 2 minutes of the interview, ask your participant to read this clip
• After the interview is over, continue the recording with you reading the same clip (for comparison)
III) The Report (about 800-1000 words)
• Analyse the contents of the interview by identifying distinct linguistic features
(see lecture notes and a video) posted on-line.
• Focus on the sounds, pronunciation, grammar, expressions.
The actual content of the interview is not relevant for the analyses.
See Detailed guidelines on next page
• Analyse both the interview and the shared reading of the clip for the following six points.
(remember that the focus is on the Linguistic features, not on the interviewee’s cultural experiences)
• Make separate paragraphs for each of the six points providing scholarly analyses.
(avoid short 1-2 sentences for each point. Instead provide several examples for each and analyse each)
An A+ Assignment
o is well-written in APA style
o begins with a nice introduction, followed by appropriate subheadings & paragraphs
o is well-organized with points following a logical order
o has analysed each linguistic component in a scholarly manner
o has included all the required six points of linguistic analyses (listed above), and an Appendix
o has integrated psychological terms and concepts pertaining to language & culture
o has examined the application of the analysis to day-to-day life
o has included appropriate scholarly references (two or more) to enrich the analyses
o meets the due date for submission
• The Report file Must be named as “Lang-FirstnameLast name”;
e.g., if your name is “Global Talk”, your file must be named “Lang-GlobalTalk”
• The Report file MUST be a WORD file, and submitted on the Course site
• Delete the audio file of the interview after your assignment has been marked.